History of Our Funeral Home
E. F. Boyd & Son, Inc., one of the oldest African-American funeral homes in the Cleveland area, began in 1905. Elmer F. Boyd entered one of the few professions open to Blacks at the turn of the 20th century.
He opened his business following graduation from Clark's College of Embalming in Cincinnati, Ohio (now the Cincinnati College of Mortuary Science). After passing the state examination, Mr. Boyd opened an office on Central Avenue in the fall of 1905. It was known as the E. F. Boyd Funeral Parlor. He took on a partner, Lewis J. Dean, and officially opened in 1906; their initial establishment was described as "a combination funeral parlor and haber-dashery". In 1911, Dean left the business and Boyd with his wife, Cora, continued, moving the business to 2544 Central Avenue. By 1919, he moved his operation to 2276 E. 43rd Street.
During the early 1930's, Elmer was also joined in the business by his son, William F. With his business beginning to prosper, Elmer and Cora purchased the present headquarters location, 2165 E. 89th Street, in 1938. This site had formerly been the Slaughter Brothers Funeral Home. Along with that purchase, Boyd changed the name of his establishment to E. F. Boyd & Son Funeral Home. Elmer Boyd died in 1944. His wife and son along with his daughter-in-law, Mary W. continued the business after his death, improving and enhancing the overall business and its presence in the community.